1. A nugget of gold with a mass of 521 grams is added to 50.0 ml of water. The water level rises to a volume of 77.0 ml. What is the density of gold?
a. 6.77 g/ml
b. 19.3 g/ml
c. 1.00 g/ml
d. 10.4 g/ml
e. 0.0518 g/ml
2. A doctor’s order is 0.125 grams of ampicillin. The liquid suspension on hand contains 250 mg/5.0 ml. How many milliliters of the suspension are required?
a. 2.5 ml
b. 6.3 ml
c. 3.0 ml
d. 0.0063 ml
e. 0.0025 ml
3. What elements are in hydroxyapatite, Ca5 (PO4)3OH, a major compound in human bones and teeth?
a. Calcium, phosphorus, oxygen, hydrogen
b. Carbon, potassium, oxygen, helium
c. Carbon, potassium, oxygen, hydrogen
d. Calcium, phosphorus, oxygen, helium
e. Carbon, phosphorus, oxygen, helium
4. What is the mass number of an atom of potassium that has 20 neutrons?
5. What is the electron level arrangement for aluminum?
a. 2, 8, 5
b. 2, 8, 8
d. 2, 8, 7
e. 2, 8, 3
6. Elements in group IIA (2) of the periodic table form ions with a charge of?
7. The ability of an atom to attract the shared electrons in a covalent bond is its
b. Bonding ability
d. Ionic character
8. How many moles of K2SO4 are in 15.0 grams of K2SO4?
a. 0.0861 moles
b. 2.61 x 103 moles
c. 0.119 moles
d. 0.172 moles
e. 0.111 moles
9. Which of the following compounds contains an ionic bond?
10. If the reaction shown below is exothermic, the energy level of the reactants is
H2 + O2 2 H2O
a. lower than that of the products
b. higher than the activation energy of the reaction
c. possibly lower, possibly higher than that of the products
d. the same as that of the products
e. higher than that of the products
11. What is the [H30+] in a solution with [OH-] = 1 x 10-12 M?
12. In the reaction of silver nitrate (AgNO3) with sodium chloride (NaCl), how many grams of silver chloride (AgCl) will be produced from 100 grams of silver nitrate when it is mixed with an excess of sodium chloride? The equation for the reaction is as follows:
a. 0.589 grams
b. 84.4 grams
c. 107.9 grams
d. 169.9 grams
e. 58.9 grams
13. The ______________ is the minimum energy needed for a chemical reaction to begin.
a. Reaction energy
b. Energy of products
c. Energy of reactants
d. Activation energy
e. Heat of reaction
14. In a nuclear chain reaction which of the following occurs?
a. Electrons are emitted by each split nucleus generating heat
b. Released electrons are captured by other nuclei
c. When a nucleus is split by a neutron, it releases an additional neutron
d. Electrons become excited and move to higher energy levels
e. A positively charged alpha particle begins a series of fission events that results in protons bombarding adjacent nuclei
15. What is standard temperature and pressure?
a. The conditions under which water freezes
b. 0º C and 1 atmosphere pressure
c. 25º C and 1 atmosphere pressure
d. 0º C and 1 pound per square inch
e. 25º C and 1 pound per square inch
16. Which of the following is the basic unit of volume in the metric system?
17. Which of the following pairs of a person and an accomplishment is NOT correct?
a. Lavoisier, concept that water is formed from oxygen and hydrogen
b. Mendeleev, the periodic table
c. Volta, discovery of the battery
d. Einstein, synthesis of the first man-made element
e. Curie, discovery of radium
18. The element in this list with chemical properties similar to magnesium is
19. The need for chemical equations to be balanced is an illustration of which basic law of physics?
a. e = mc2
b. Conservation of mass
c. Conservation of energy
d. First law of thermodynamics
e. Third law of thermodynamics
20. A chemical system is in equilibrium when
a. No additional product is formed
b. Forward and reverse reactions occur at the same rates
c. No changes can be observed
d. The temperature remains constant
e. Forward and reverse reactions stop occurring