1. An unknown substance is found to have a sharp melting point, and therefore
a. It is a pure compound
b. It may be a pure compound
c. It may be a eutectic mixture of compounds
d. Both b. and c. are true
2. Which formula and structure are the same?
3. 1-Methylcyclohexene reacts with strong aqueous acid to produce
a. No reaction occurs
4. A carbon atom and an oxygen atom double-bonded to each other is called
a. A carbonyl group
b. A carbonate group
c. A carboxylic function
d. An acyl group
5. When two high priority substituent groups are restricted to opposite sides of a molecule they are designated as
a. Z- isomers
b. E- isomers
c. R- isomers
d. d,l- isomers
6. A sp3 carbon atom that has a completely asymmetric arrangement of four substituent groups is called?
a. A conformer
b. A chiral center
c. A reactive center
d. A stereomer
7. Side-by-side overlap of p orbitals in a molecular structure results in?
a. bonding and delocalization of the p orbital electrons
b. Resonance destabilization
d. Steric strain
8. Triple bonds to carbon atoms are found in?
a. Alkynes and cycloalkenes
b. Alkynes and alkenones
c. Nitriles and alkynes
d. Aromatic compounds
9. Aldehydes react with Tollen’s reagent to produce?
a. Ketones and silver ions
b. Carboxylic acids and silver atoms
c. Carboxylic acids and silver ions
d. No reaction
10. The base-catalyzed hydrolysis of esters is called?
11. An SN2 reaction mechanism results in?
a. Formation of a carbonium ion intermediate
b. Inversion of stereochemistry at the site of reaction
c. Formation of alcohols
d. Formation of carbon-carbon double bonds
12. Separation of compounds by distillation is more efficient when
a. Carried out under reduced pressure
b. More condensation-vaporization cycles occur
c. Carried out quickly
d. The condenser is very cold
13. A monosaccharide is?
a. A cyclic ketone
b. A branched chain aldehyde
c. A simple sugar
d. An -hydroxycarboxylic acid
14. A sugar molecule whose acyclic form is a five-membered oxygen-containing heterocyclic ring is called?
a. A pyranose
b. A furanose
c. A pentose
d. A cyclohexose
15. Which of the following pairs of compounds are nitrogen heterocycles?
a. Maleimide and imidazole
b. Pyridine and piperidine
c. Caffeine and -butyrolactam
d. All of the above
16. A Friedel-Crafts reaction requires the presence of?
a. HCl and Cl2
b. AlCl3 or FeCl3
c. A Lewis base
17. The geometry of the amide functional group in amides is?
a. Trigonal planar due to p orbital overlap
b. Tetrahedral at the N atom
c. Unaffected by the lone pair orbital on the N atom
d. Subject to free rotation about the C-N bond
18. Proteins, starches and celluloses are referred to as
19. In a redox reaction:
a. The reducing agent gains electrons
b. The oxidizing agent loses electrons
c. The oxidizing agent is reduced as the reducing agent is oxidized
d. Oxidation occurs first followed by reduction
20. The following molecule is?
c. D- butyl alcohol
d. L- butyl alcohol