For questions 1 through 15:
A three-dimensional object is shown at the left. This is followed by outlines of five apertures or openings.
In each item the task is exactly the same. First, you are to imagine how the object looks from all directions (rather than from a single direction as shown). Then, pick from the five apertures outlined, the opening through which the object could pass directly if the proper side were inserted first. Finally, mark on your answer sheet (after the number of the item. the letters corresponding to the answer you have chosen).
Here are the rules:
1. Prior to passing through the aperture, the irregular solid object may be turned in any direction. It may be started through the aperture on a side not shown.
2. Once the object has started through the aperture, it may not be twisted or turned. It must pass completely through the opening. The opening is always the exact shape of the appropriate external outline of the object.
3. Both objects and apertures are drawn to the same scale. Thus, it is possible for an opening to be the correct shape but too small for the object. In all cases, however, differences are large enough to judge by eye.
4. There are no irregularities in any hidden portion of the object. However, if the figure has symmetric indentations, the hidden portion is symmetric with the part shown.
5. For each object there is only one correct aperture.
For questions 16 through 20
The pictures that follow are top, front and end views of various solid objects. The views are without perspective. That is, the points in the viewed surface are viewed along parallel lines of vision. The projection looking DOWN on it is shown in the upper left-hand corner (TOP VIEW). The projection looking at the object from the FRONT is shown in the lower left-hand corner (FRONT VIEW). The projection looking at the object from the END is shown in the lower right-hand corner (END VIEW). These views are ALWAYS in the same positions and are labeled accordingly.
Note that the lines that cannot be seen on the surface in some particular view are DASHED in that view.
In the problems that follow, two views will be shown, with four alternatives to complete the set. You are to select the correct one and mark it on the answer sheet.